PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Qantas:The Trashing Of A Brand
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2008, 22:09
noip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Professor,

It is apparent that you are aguing a point without the knowledge that exists within the pilot and engineer ranks. You are even in a different discussion.

The majority of the concerns here are to do with the systemic health of a great Aviation Icon. We are concerned that all is not well. We are worried that we can see the "man behind the curtain" as it were.

To take some of your points:

“Their professionalism and invaluable experience is the Qantas Brand”

As apposed to the employees at other airlines. Exactly what “something special” is it that QF staff bring to the business that the staff at competitors cannot.
No-one is saying that QF people, and since this is pprune, particularly pilots and engineers are more professional than anyone else. This is not about "we are better than them".

Purchase of new aircraft.
I could fill a book on this one. Summary - Domestic operations have been the focus - International has been the Cinderella. Waiting to see the Longhaul aircraft that have been purchased.

Opening of new routes.
I'm sure there's been one - just can't think of it right now. I can think of all those that have been abandoned either because of wrong aircraft (wait - didn't you say we bought some new ones?) or because the domestic network was considered more important.

Consistently profitable and as previously stated, one of THE MOST PROFITABLE airlines in the world while Dixon was at the helm.
Certainly, and I am concerned where those profits have come from and what it means to the long term health of the airline. It may be as you say, but I have the horrible feeling that we are seeing short term returns at the expense of long term viability ... I would love to be wrong here, but it scares me.

Popular? Probably not, but business is not about being nice to employees.
We aren't concerned with tough management - hey we work in a tough and unforgiving profession - HOWEVER - we want GOOD management and from what I've seen and learned, it appears we do not.

Time will tell ......

Rgds

N