PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harsh Realities of being an airline pilot
Old 19th Jun 2008, 23:29
excrab

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
The "Harsh realities of being an airline pilot"

I was having a real "I've had enough of this day" before I went to work this afternoon. Can't be bothered driving to work, argueing with security, making my own sandwiches etc etc.

Then I did four sectors up and down the UK in a not especially new or clean medium jet, and on the last sector it being almost mid summer and still only dusk at 2230 local even a major suburban sprawl in the middle of the UK looked beautiful with the street lights just coming on and building high pressure making the clouds dissapear and the sky turn blue. I've been doing this for 27 years and the F/O I was with for 20 and we agreed it was a privilege to be able to look out of those flight deck windows as we were tonight.

It doesn't matter if you're in a boeing or an airbus or a jetstream or a shed, if you want harsh realities then spend your life hitting bits of metal on a production line or washing dishes or down a coal mine, retire at 65 and die two years later of some horrid industrial disease. No one said you had to spend a small fortune getting your licences, it was your choice - if your not happy s*d off and do something else and let someone fly the aeroplane who is going to enjoy it.