PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trident engine locations ?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2008, 19:52
philbky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trident man I gather you have a slight interest in the Manchester Trident. Excellent job well done. Had a memorable flight back from Hamburg to LHR on that aircraft on 24 November 1982.

We were delayed at Hamburg as the weather had been lousy at LHR and 23 was in use so flow control was in operation.

Things hadn't improved when we got to Lambourne and the crew told us to expect a 30 minute hold - at 20.00, not the busiest time normally. I was beginning to think I'd miss my connection for the Manchester Shuttle back up, let alone the scheduled flight.

Eventually we started an approach only to be turned off at five miles due to the aircraft in front of us (Aeroflot IL 62 from Tokyo) losing his way and sticking at the end of 23.

A quick 360, back to third in the queue and we eventually touched down (the only time I ever landed on 23 in countless flights into LHR) with one of the roughest landings I can remember - presumably using reverse thrust prior to touch down.

Thanks to a few calls on the radio, I did make the back up to Manchester.

I was also on the last service flight of WZL on 21 November 1983 - again a Manchester Shuttle back up.

We left immediately behind the scheduled flight and, on a bitterly cold, frosty but very clear, windless night proceded to Congleton. The crew told the pax that the aircraft was being retired that night and would be ferried empty to LHR next day.

At Congleton we were vectored for an approach to 24. For some reason the scheduled flight elected for 06 and, with a quick word to approach we cut the corner and established somewhere over the centre of Stockport - unusual for Tridents at MAN where a eight to ten mile final was usual on Shuttle flights.

Again a rough landing, which the Captain thanked his F/O for in a joking way when, as we were taxying in, the scheduled flight landed parallel to us and the Captain claimed taking the back up was always the better option - more room and faster! He had to eat his words as the scheduled beat us to the gate, having stopped short and turned in left to the domestic pier, forcing us to give way.