PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ways to get there...
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2008, 19:22
rikesh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, thanks for all your replies.

jb2_86_uk I agree with your advice to choose a course which I would enjoy. Of course, the thing I would enjoy the most would be to learn to fly (hence a degree with pilot studies), but preduk has confirmed my concerns about the actual usefulness of the course. I am considering a degree in maths or similar area (yes I'm a geek I enjoy maths).

XL319 I would have thought, with the competitiveness of the aviation industry today, that having a degree would benefit you over someone who doesn't? True, most airlines do not state a degree as necessary - but it is not a question of getting the bare minimum (which for certain airlines would be 5 C grades at GCSE along with the ATPL). Am I right?

David UK So just to make sure: regardless of uni course, I would not really have time to do a few hours a week towards PPL and afterwards CPL etc? Putting in a few hours a month is something I would never do.

Nashers I do not plan on going anywhere near the RAF. But I have doubts as to whether they would allow me to join a squadron and train for PPL with absolutely no intention to fly for the RAF. David UK?

Another question I have is this: with the current A-Levels I am studying, and if I were to take a maths degree also..would this make my educational qualifications seem very one-sided? I.e. almost all the higher qualifications I would have are based upon maths. It is not very balanced.

Would this be looked upon unfavourably by the airline industry - or generally in any industry?

Once again, I appreciate your replies.