PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a Pilot!
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2008, 16:03
cfwake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C08, while there may be nothing wrong with looking at all your options, I'm sure most of us have, your pretty abrasive tone isn't going to get you anywhere on this forum or in your chosen industry.

While you may have taken a certain amount of offence to BF's post (which in all honesty was pretty neutral, if not a bit sarky), the correct response isn't to eff and jeff like a petulent kid. Which, by the way, you're sounding more and more like.

If you want some advice, consider this: while you can have a CPL at the age of 18, an ATPL will not be issued until the age of at least 21, and you're going to be up against people who are significantly older and who have far more life experience than you, and you'll probably be facing a pretty uphill struggle to win, irrelevant of how you may feel.

In my experience, and it is common, the people who have a hard time with jobs are usually those who are under, what guys, say 21/22, who have very little experience in the wider world, including self-sufficiency, financial experience (and it doesn't have to be as a stock trader for barclays) and who have developed experience of life outside school and living at home. If you have, then i apologise for making the assumption. But it is important to emphasise, an airline doesn't really care about your flying qualifications when you get to interview - otherwise they wouldn't have given you one in the first place. They want to know how well rounded, grounded, mature and amicable a person you are.

At 17, you are so young that to rush through training would be a bad idea. Have you thought about doing a PPL and hours building slowly, say over 2 or 3 years while you go to Uni (my recommendation)or get a job? My usual preachings about going to uni can be found by trawling through my recent posts, but I'm personally pretty proud of them and I stand by every word.

Good luck, remember time is very much on your side and if you rush it it may turn round and bite you on the arse.