PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Please don't make me learn to fly in a Cesspit!
Old 19th Jun 2008, 11:56
VFE
Dancing with the devil, going with the flow... it's all a game to me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only time the tailwheel airplane 'distracts' you is during taxi, takeoff, and landing
Well the take off and landing are 2/3rds of the battle when learning to fly.

Look, I'm not saying it's impossible, of course not, nor that you won't benefit from the challenge but I'm just saying it's not ideal when you have something like a C152 sat there doing nothing, that's all. Flying in the UK nowadays is as much about operational procedures as much as being able to pole the aircraft about. Skill increasing coordination exercises make up only a small percentage of what a student needs to learn in the short time between starting a PPL and completing. In the old days the course could be more geared towards become a good stick and rudder pilot whereas now it's just not possible given everything else that has to be learned in the 45 hours. Cram too much in and it becomes a waste of time because the average human being cannot absorb it all.

It's just less hassle all round to go from tricycle to taildragger but hey, you pays yer money you takes yer choice... just don't complain you weren't advised properly before making your decision.

VFE.