PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747 Crash At Brussels
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2008, 08:55
pacplyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Octane's question about groundloop

Octane,

Just now saw this thread. If you're still there, Yes, we had one accidentally groundloop due to a pipe load shifting due to ground crew forgetting to raise the pallet locks on the floor as a backup to straps. FTL in the 80's. The straps snapped before rotate, the load went to the tail and the next thing the Captain knew the nose came off the ground at 100 kts and he was just along for the ride. Millions of dollars damage just on the belly strike alone. The aircraft did several 360's I understand, no one hurt: repaired later.

This caused a new procedure that I had to train on about doublechecking PALLETLOCKS as an S/O at the time.

She's a tough old bird, but there's little chance she won't break up at those huge weights off the overrun. The fuselage bends quite a bit in turns on normal taxiways so we used to make gentle ones and pull straight ahead after turning to untwist the airframe stress. If you do a 90 degree turn with differential brakes and power, the corner windscreen will likely crack. The 200's loaded a lot heavier than the 100 was (the power to weight is less on the 200F.) Nasa picked the 100 to ferry the shuttle because the empty weight is lower even thought the early JT9D engines were smaller thrust.

I don't know which model was more successful: the 737 or the 747. Anybody know? There were over 2000 flying when I was on it.