PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engineneer death in Tenerife South during engine test
Old 19th Jun 2008, 08:14
Fargoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We ALWAYS use full intake guards when ground running RB211s and are fully trained/briefed on ground runs, an engine even at ground idle commands respect, I have seen a guard blasted foreward when checking reverse thrust, that photograph looks decidedly dangerous.
Wheras we regularly run up RB211s and other types on the ramp with no guards. Never above idle and never with anyone anywhere near the engine.
This report mentions the engineer was with 2 colleagues by the nose gear , I fail to see how he was ingested from that distance with an engine running at idle.

We only use guards when adjustments or test are needed on a running engine and again only ever at idle. The picture in this thread of a 747 engine run is perfectly acceptable to me given that the staff monitoring it are generally inside a van well away from the engine.

Sad case , lets hope we find out exactly what happened in time so we can all learn from it. RIP