PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANSTON -3
Thread: MANSTON -3
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2008, 06:51
deedave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
King Pong asks - " how many airliners would Manston handle on an average day ".

Unfortunately, legitimate air transport movements at MSE can no longer be measured on a "per day" basis. There are one or two passenger charters per week for the summer, and one freight flight on Tuesday, plus other ad hoc freight movements.
One might estimate total activity at around 15-20 landings per month (excluding training bumps).

Catflaps - " Is Manston jinxed ? ".

I suppose the answer to this is simple. If you believe in "jinxes" then it must be, for the proportion of failed ventures associated with Manston is exceptionally high. If you don't believe in such things then it isn't!

There are, of course, a few (hopefully!) non-failing operations using MSE.

One thing is likely, however. If a company or individual were making a risk evaluation of a particular venture, then an involvement with MSE might form part of the statistics they use to arrive at a conclusion.
Manston cannot be held directly responsible for all failures associated with it, but unfortunately, causality is not always a feature of statistical risk analysis. (This is why, for example, certain colours of motor vehicle are more expensive to insure than others).

Personally, I was recently asked to finance a new company, but the fact that this company was to have an association with MSE raised (for me at least) questions about the company's overall credibility, and was one of a number of reasons I politely declined.

I believe the venture did not go ahead.