PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabin Air Contamination
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2008, 03:08
pacplyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beaver Man,

Yes, Glycol fumes from de-icing fluid dripping into the bleed air intakes are now disclosed to crews as being extremely toxic; glad you mentioned it. U.S. airline legal depts are disclosing that to employees sometimes to avoid labor suits.

The 727 was real bad about coming back from the northeast in winter; even a day later, the fumes from the apu bleed into the packs would give us the most excruciating headaches (intake was in the wheel well for christsakes, how the helll did the contract de-icer shoot it into there? Guess they were removing ice and snow from the wheel well in way too thorough a fashion.) It was awful. Made you hate the job and take your vacation in winter to avoid that nastiness.

Running the 146 on apu bleed the whole flight was possible IIRC. But wouldn't that restrict the altitude permitted? It did on our airplanes, IIRC. And that put you down into turboprop traffic which slowed you way down and vectored you all over the place adding 30 minutes sometimes to flight time. I have trouble believing this claim. I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you saying they did it just to write it up and cause a mtc hardship? Why would anybody poison themselves intentionally? Now I'm not sure you understand what was happening there. It was common when I flew the 146 to start the APU on approach and switch packs to apu bleed in the air to 1. get extra power for go-around with engine bleeds off if you needed it (heavy, mountains) 2. have it up and running for a quick engine shutdown to save fuel.

Cheers,

pac - out