PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Please don't make me learn to fly in a Cesspit!
Old 18th Jun 2008, 22:55
VFE
Dancing with the devil, going with the flow... it's all a game to me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basically, to clarify my statement about 'FLYING', I consider anything beyond the scope of the PPL syllabus to be beyond the requirements of a PPL training aircraft. The diehards may argue but many do not teach on a daily basis - I do. You can have all singing, all spinning, all dancing old or new stuff but when it comes down to it the C152 wins everytime and does all we require of it for PPL training.

As for Ghengis the Engineer's devils advocate question - I'd say a simple, safe, stable platform is a far better option for a PPL novice than something more likely to catch them out. People who've flown for a long time and who have some number of hours in their logbook forget just how tough learning to fly ANY aeroplane can be... especially the older you start. I teach people everyday and believe you me, I would not wish to be doing it in an aircraft such as the PA38.... I already have one mate in a wheelchair from teaching spinning in one of those things and without going into the details one thing is for certain - he wouldn't be crippled had he been in a C152.

Remember KISS folks and convert to the more interesting gear once you've got your licence. At my school we cover taildragging and often get asked the question about doing a PPL in a taildragger and the response from experience is - get yer licence on something like a C152 then convert. Cheaper too.

Flying in the UK has changed greatly since WW2.

VFE.