PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ways to get there...
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2008, 18:55
rikesh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ways to get there...

OK, you'll probably think this is just another post on an already over-asked question - so hopefully after reading this, you will see that I have researched and read a lot before posting.

My aim is to become a commercial airline pilot. I come from an average financial background, but I don't think that should stand in the way. I have just about finished my first year at college, doing AS-Levels: Further Mathematics, Physics, Economics, Electronics.

I have drawn up three ways of 'getting to the top':

1. Join the RAF. Then, after 14 years (minimum service), apply for airlines.

2. Complete A-Levels, then do modular training towards an fATPL while keeping my part-time job to pay for it. Possibly take out a loan to assist, depending on the actual costs. Then, apply for airlines.

3. Complete A-Levels, then do a university degree. Do modular training (either during degree or afterwards). Then, apply for airlines.

By the way, integrated training is not an option since I'd never be able to afford it.

My opinion on these:

1. I have ruled out joining the royal air force for many reasons.

2. I think it is unwise to choose not to have a degree, as a fall back and also airlines would probably appreciate someone with a degree than someone without one (?)

3. I am convinced this is the right path for me. So, the question has become: what degree to take?

I have looked into the various Aviation-related w/pilot studies degrees. The problem is, a few teachers have given me strong advice that these are 'mickey mouse degrees' (?) No offence intended to anyone, but is this true? Hopefully you know what I mean.

So, I could just do a standard degree (like Maths). Either way, I would have to fit training in somehow. Now is it possible to do modular training whilst doing a uni course? Or would I have to wait and then begin training afterwards.

I have also come across CTC Wings - where if you are selected, they pay for your training and expect you to pay back over time. Are there any other schemes like this? And what is the flexibility - again, would I have to do the training after the degree? This would mean I could only begin my application towards the final year of my uni course (?)

I appreciate this is a fairly long post, so thank you for taking the time to read it. I would like as many comments/suggestions as I can get...so fire away!

Regards