PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Please don't make me learn to fly in a Cesspit!
Old 18th Jun 2008, 15:52
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I learned in C150s back in the late '70s. Any spamcan is awful to fly, with poor control response (especially ailerons). They seem to be designed for Americans to cruise on instruments, straight and level, for hour on hour. They are not 'pilot's aeroplanes'. But they do the job... sort of.

Soon as I'd got the licence, I joined a Chipmunk group and discovered what I'd been looking for and hadn't found up 'till then. Once you've flown an aeroplane that handles like an aeroplane should, you won't want to fly a spamcan ever again.

If I were you I'd go straight for the taildragger if you can find a school that uses them. With today's 'hours building' instructors, only a few are enthusiastic enough to have tailwheel experience. But such instructors are worth seeking out. They'll probably be able to teach you aeros as well.

Worst case, just grit your teeth and do the PPL (or NPPL) in a spamcan, then ditch it and buy a share in a taildragger.

SSD