PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cairns Helicopter Crash
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2008, 13:19
BigMike

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Survivors 'lucky' in Qld chopper crash

June 18, 2008 - 7:33PM

One of four survivors of a helicopter crash near Cairns on Wednesday thought he was going to die.

The Robinson R44 helicopter, chartered by environmentalists photographing a controversial resort development at False Cape, crashed shortly before 10.40am (AEST).

Of the four on board, the pilot was the most severely hurt, suffering two broken ankles. He had to be cut free from the wreckage.

Passenger Steve Nowakowski told reporters he was surprised to be alive.

He said the pilot warned of turbulence before the helicopter started a fast downward spiral.

"We went into a death roll and we just spiralled, near vertically, just straight down," Mr Nowakowski said.

"As soon as we hit the trees I thought it was all over, I thought that was it."

Passenger Mark Buttrose said it was calm on board as the helicopter descended.

"Everyone was pretty silent as it went down because we were concentrating on the pilot doing a good job and getting us down," he told Ten News.

The helicopter crashed through the trees and hit the ground.

All on board except the pilot escaped through an open door.

Mr Nowakowski said the whirring of the rotors was ominous.

"We hit the ground and then I realised I was alive, and I was waiting for the explosion," he said.

The Save False Cape group spokesman said his campaign against the resort development was now over.

"I've been to court, I've lost thousands of US dollars, I nearly lost my life," he said.

Witness Terry Spackman said it was hard to believe anyone could emerge from the crumpled wreckage.

Investigations into the cause of the crash have begun.

© 2008 AAP