PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash landing in KRT
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2008, 10:06
pilotbear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well I am astonished but for the first time I agree with 411a. I am very experienced in these regions and HSSS is not much different to any African airport although there have been improvements.
You do need to plan ahead and have a plan B if ATC make mistakes. They did to us a couple of nights ago after re opening.
Radar was obviously not working as they were constantly asking for position and level. Gave us direct to VOR then after we kept saying approaching etc, now overhead, now passed gave us the VOR approach by saying report out bound. Luckily it was a clear night so we had to improvise using the non-working? ILS for assistance and our plan B which was to know exactly where we are at all times and what we are going to do if they mess up.
However, this is not unusual and you are really only using ATC as a guide in this country, it is often better to tell them what you are going to do. ( if you know)

We were only doing a fuel stop, and as usual of course they managed to lose our outbound plan!!