PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2008, 09:24
Mariner9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FSII, if present in the fuel, might be a factor. I dicussed it previously in #1292...

An interesting one, and possibly of relevance to BA038, is particulate contamination. This is measured by filtering some fuel, and weighing the particulates collected. An associated test (which forms part of the military spec) is filtration time, which specifies the maximum time for 1 US gallon to be vacuum-filtered. We have had numerous problems where anti-icing additives have been incompletely mixed, which for reasons we dont fully understand, cause difficulties in filtration. Obviously, filtration difficulties would impact on the flow of fuel through aircraft filters, and I would imagine that the effect would worsen with decreasing temperture. However, I have no idea if the subject fuel contained any FSII - chances are it didn't. I also don't know if the AAIB have had particulate contamination/filtration time checked as strictly speaking, the limits only apply at the point of manufacture. It would seem unlikely that they haven't checked this basic point however.
However, I seem to recall that in an answer to my post, someone pointed out that the fuel filters would be automatically bypassed in the event of flow restriction?