PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L@ser attacks
Thread: L@ser attacks
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2008, 23:19
low n' slow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was at the pointy end of one of these incidents in Stockholm.
There were some clouds around so I could see a green dot racing around in the sky and I was able to follow it and see where it came from. All of a sudden I saw it on our nacelles and then inside the cockpit. I felt an ever so slight sting in my eye but not much more and it dissipadet very quickly.

After landing about 10 minutes later, I had this warm feeling above my eye on my forehead and it felt as if I had gravel or sand in my eye. Very discomforting. I mentioned it to my captain and he had similar complaints.
We pressed on for the final leg, and contacted the hospital upon landing. Basically nothing to do but to monitor the symptoms. Fortunately they wore off within 1 or 2 days and I've had my eye examined since without any remarks.

Later that week we got an email from our chief of flightoerations saying we should aid the police in trying to find the location of the laser pointer i.e. look out. I'd just like to comment on this, if you ever suspect you're being lit up by a laser, duck down below the glareshield and stay down for as long as you think you might need to (how's that for specific advice!!! ). It's a scary experience and should be avoided by any means possible. Not trying to find the source if you know you're being lit up is one good way... And having seen the laser dot on our aircraft skin, I can tell you it's not 3 meters in diameter... more likely 3 cm... Anyhow, don't let your interest get the better out of you, DUCK DOWN!

/LnS