PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mil Jet Callsigns
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2008, 22:36
scran
Music Quizmeister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed FTDK:

Buckshot and Ramrod are/were F111 callsigns. Buckshot plus a weapon (Colt, Carbine) were 1 Squadron.

The Mirages were Maple for 2OCU, Despot for 77 Squadron, Stingray were the 2OCU Macchi's. Going WAY back (even before my time - first tour at Willy was 1976-79) 76 Squadron (disbanded before I arrived) used Fairway (I understand) plus a big cat - Leopard, Panther etc

In Butterworth at the time (79-81) 75 Squadron were Classic plus a bird (Magpie, Plover!!!) and 3 Squadron were Prison plus a snake - Venom, Adder, Viper, Rattler

The Malaysian F5's were initially Keris (the knife) but changed soon after I arrived to Kilau (not sure) plus a colour - but in this case the Amlay/Bahasa - so Mas (Gold) Intan (silver) are the two I remember. Always fun talking to the flight lead when they were Keris Mas (say it quickly....)

Few others I remember were the Canadain Cl114's (Tudors) were called Tebuan's by the Malays, and their callsign was "Tulip". When they visited for exercises the always parked in the same area - which we referred to as the Tulip Patch. Malay C130's were Anam, which I believe is the Bahasa for peace.

The SAR guys in Butterworth used to have one for a laugh. They would fly formation as Argus Tuft

say if fast..........