PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft = unsafe ?
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2000, 22:36
Bally Heck

Fundamentally in my view, yes. In my fifteen years in aviation, I have known personally five people who have died in light aircraft accidents. I only ever knew one victim of a car crash. It may be that I am a statistical blip, perhaps a straw poll would be in order.

Two deaths were weather related although one could argue that they were also judgement related. (Fly in that!!) Two of the deaths were a result of mechanical failure. The same failure in the same aircraft.

There is a saying along the lines of the air being less forgiving than the sea. That I think is very true, and most of us get to a level of experience, often more through good luck than good judgement, and a level of training, which puts us at considerably less risk than less experienced pilots.

I now have one of the safest jobs in the world, but there are a few times in my past where I have made bad calls. I was fortunate in that the decisions were not bad enough, or circumstances against me enough.

That said, I would still do it all again. With hindsight I now see that doing things "by the book" reduces the risk a lot.

Unfortunately most of us are built with a macho streak. (even the ladies) This and the desire to be seen to be able to do things which more experienced pilots take in their stride.

Overcome that and fly well maintained equipment, in weather well within your capabilities, by the book and you will be OK (probably)

As they used to say in the navy "remember, ammunition is safe until you forget that it is dangerous."

Happy Flying!!!