PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft = unsafe ?
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2000, 17:27
autothrottle

Red face

My dear chap,

Just hold on a second.I think you may be exaggerating a tiny bit.In the world at the moment the General Aviation fleet flies,on average,10 million miles before a fatal accident occurs.
Accidents in aircraft make the news because they do happen so rarely.People are killed every single day on our roads,but does that stop any of us from driving,I think not.Please put it in context.If you read the accident occurence leaflet(you get with GASIL)you will see that most accidents are in fact Human error.I emphasise human because they are mistakes made by humans not just pilots.Most of these are survivable accidents possibly caused by pilots not being aware of their limitations or indeed the limitations of their aircraft.It IS worrying when you see the number of pilots who DO NOT do a load sheet before flying or ,if they are flying into a performance limiting strip ,negate to calculate the required take-off run required for a safe ,within limits ,take-off.
I recommend you research a little bit,find a good school and read this web page.Flying is fun,but to be safe requires dedication and professionalism,whatever your level of flying.
e-mail me and I will point you in the direction of some info that will change your mind!

cheers AUTOTHROTTLE