PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TACA aircraft crashed in Honduras
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2008, 19:04
Lemurian

Sun worshipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airfoilmod,

Things would be wonderfully simpler if they were that way.
Unfortunately, they are not and you still see the stick-and-rudder pilot on a 'Bus -and with a very accurate flying at that. and you can also see the *operator* (vs handler) in other types.
That sort of vocabulary was in effect long before the 320 first flight.
What is at stake here is plain biased thinking, as if to be a pilot one needed to keep the flight controls the pioneers used on their Ford Trimotor....
It's easy to see that it is just a load of buffalo crap : when B introduces new features, you wouldn't hear a pip (best example is the anti tail strike twitching on the 777, have you heard anyone on this forum protesting that it took his flying skills away ?)
As for looking at the wing tips, you're quite welcome to try that technique on a swept-wing jet...and the top of instrument panels are not reliable for giving you an horizontal reference...and when you do not have a horizon, like in a mountanous area, or in fog or against a misty sunrise/sunset, what will be your reference for wings level ?
That's why a long time ago I was instructed to watch horizon, airspeed and ball-and-needle during the flare (that was on a DC-4, mind you...) and I've kept that technique through all my later airplanes, of which the 'Bus is only the latest in a long line and it is no different.
But it is in the minds of a lot of haters, so they yell words like *roll rate* like a magical spell...Had they just stopped to think of it, the amount of lateral yoke you'd input is just that :how fast the airplane is going to roll, then, because physics take over,a turn is initiated...the beauty of it is that you won't be normally using your rudder...
Now I ask you, where is the difference ?