PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Knowing what you know now about this game, wud you have done it all in the 1st plce?
Old 17th Jun 2008, 18:16
FlyingTom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely, I'd do it again.

I was a 30 yr old career changer back in 2000. I remember WWW (thanks) on PPRUNE back then. I started as FlyingTomato, named after the VW Beetle I slogged up to Biggin in for my flying lessons, however my password never worked when PPRUNE upgraded so I had to reincarnate.

I set out with a distant aim, to work for Cathay Pacific or BA, and didn't much care for the details of how to get there. There was an awful lot of luck involved, more than I deserved. The best job was the least paid, instructing PPL, yet the most rewarding. I lost my first job before I ever started it, KLMuk (Buzz) thanks to O'Leary. For some reason I never gave up when faced with an impossible job situation back in 2003. My only enemy has been myself, mostly in the sim, luckily I exceeded myself in interviews.

Now I'm where I wanted to be, to be honest the BA selection was the easiest selection, I suppose I was on autopilot. Now I'm just moving over to LH and it's like starting off all over again.

The reason everything I've done has been satisfying is because my two basic needs were to fly, and to see other countries whilst having a beer in good company. Two easy tick boxes. The money was never an issue, I ended up with the same stupid debts as everyone else. I'm now paid very well. I don't even notice, my mortgage for a basic place is huge like everyone else. The time I had the biggest disposable income was at uni. Then I spent it on beer and travel, just like now really!

My only regret is giving up GA flying whilst getting my career off the ground, because I couldn't afford it. I'll be back real flying very soon though.