View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2008, 15:31
Lemurian

Sun worshipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RWA,

Of course I'm 'confused,' Lemurian.
That was in response to your :
But please educate me as to how (at the critical flaring stage) I could make certain sure that I had only applied a maximum bank angle of 5 degrees? Especially in an A320, that provides no 'feedback' on the sidestick? And PLEASE don't say 'by looking at the indicator on the panel'..........
The feedback you seem to be talking about could well be on a perfectly ball-centered flying having your yoke put in the direction opposite to your turn.
So, in fact the *feedback* you'd be looking for is the position you'd want your aircraft to be at compared to where it is now. Correct ?
In all these cases, you'd just move your controls, be they yoke, stick or sidestick in order to achieve the desired result and you do not need to be a genius to fly a 'Bus. And forget all the shat about roll rates and so on...just pilot the damn thing and keep things simple.
Try and find a 737 landing vid from the cockpit and put the volume on full : you'd hear the click-clicks of the yoke that has a rather large neutral point (and CWS engagement, too, if IIRC). Would you still base your attitude estimation on those very poor references ?
As for the 5° limitation, they are quite all-encompassing of every airliner I have flown, the one where it was the most important was the 744 and it has to do with the geometry of the airplanes. Don't look for extraterrrestrial gremlins here.
my priority when landing was ALWAYS airspeed. Especially when gliding. In my experience (right or wrong) the wrong airspeed (either way) is more 'life-threatening' than attitude will ever be.
So, you have time to read your ASI but not your PFD, right ? Especially on a glass instrument panel, I find that rather strange (unless of course, you can determine your airspeed by the sound of the airstream in your wires...).

What really annoys me is people who have a bias, for or against and as a corollary, an agenda.
Prejudice is no argument .