PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow S-61Ns
Thread: Bristow S-61Ns
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2008, 14:09
Alan Whitfield

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OOPS!

I just did some checking on my memories of some of the S61N registrations - my earlier conversions were not quite right. G-AZRF was previusly a Singapore registration, and VR-BDU was from Bermuda, later to become G-AZNE, sadly to be lost. I have a picture of VR-BDU in Bristow colours taken at Yarmouth, date unknown, but clearly before it was registered as NE. The colour is slightly faded from exposure, and it shows the aircraft without the FOD screens fitted.
Although DC was a really good reliable machine, it threw a wobbly one day at Aberdeen when an interlock switch on the undercarriage failed, allowing the alternators to stay on line as the rotor speed ran down. The reduced frequency caused some overheating and smoke in the AC junction box, but it was soon sorted and back in the air.

Anyone else remember the unfortunate / careless pilot who taxied an S61N into the closed hangar doors at Sumburgh? Made a mess of the doors and the blades!!
I was at Sumburgh at the time. We had to fly up a new gearbox, blades and two engines, and put in a lot of midnight oil. The most amazing thing was that none of the blade spars lost pressure. They were badly bent, but no cracks.