PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 16th Jun 2008, 19:55
airsound

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Roland P - a bit sad to see someone like you come up with such a sad generalisation as this (talking about TD)
Quote:
The Ministry of Defence decision to include the Nimrod was crass and insensitive.
Quote:
In the opinion of one person and one person ONLY!
I personally know of at least five others who agree with TD (including me), and I'd be very surprised if there weren't many more.

I believe it was a very strange decision of the RAF/MoD to fly the Nimrod in the flypast. OK, it was a logical extension of their decision that Nimrod was, contrary to the Coroner's narrative verdict, airworthy. But one of the arguments which they used in coming to that conclusion was that Nimrod was essential to the safety of troops on the ground. That may be difficult for us lay people to disagree with - but surely it doesn't mean that therefore it's sensible to fly it in a ceremonial flypast?

Had they decided not to fly it, and had anyone asked why not, the RAF could surely have reasonably argued that Nimrods were too busy, and no one would have been able to disagree.

I think it was a PR disgrace, and I'm quite surprised that almost no one in the media picked up on it.

airsound