PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boarding Chaos
Thread: Boarding Chaos
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2008, 17:40
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
The predominant action of staff at boarding gates these days is to:
  1. Announce the boarding in the correct sequence stated by the carrier. So Assisted/Premium cabin if applicable/Back Rows and then work forward or the check-in sequence groups used by EZY and so on.
  2. THEN allow anyone to board in any sequence, as long as their boarding pass is valid for the flight. Ignore the behaviour of those that stampede the gate and hustle past. DON'T tell the person that they are boarding out of sequence.
I have found this in the UK irrespective of airport and carrier. In the last year I have used LHR, LGW, LTN, MAN, IOM, travelling in premium cabins long haul, regular domestic and LCC.

It's a scrum and my assumption (built up over the past ten years) is that the gate staff have had too many bad experiences with rude pax to want another one. As long as they all get on with valid boarding cards - then they have done their job.

Welcome to 21st century air travel and, despite the reduction in traffic in the next years during the recession, I do not expect this to change.