PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vestibular Neuritis
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2008, 13:37
slip and turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi WG!

I have Googled for manoeuvre BPPV head tilt and so far have discovered three named manoeuvres - including one for dogs - I am not sure if they are all the same thing - Epley, Hallpike and Semont all figure on the first page of hits.

The one I (*Edit: thought I'd) learned was simply
1) identify the ear that appears to contain the affliction (the "full" ear?)
2) sit upright on the middle of the edge of the bed. Turn head slowly in horizontal plane by 45 degrees away from bad ear.
3) very slowly fall sideways keeping head and trunk in same relative positions until you are resting your bad side on the bed and your nose is half pointed at the ceiling and stay there for 1 minute
4) * (wrong I think - see below) very slowly return to sitting upright still keeping head at same relative angle.
5) * (wrong I think - see below) very slowly descend sideways the other way, still keeping head at same angle so when your good side is on the bed, your nose is half buried in the bed this time. Stay there for 1 minute
6) very slowly return to upright position and then try it out but try not to make any sudden movements or acute angles for an hour or two.

It doesn't always work, but the guy who told me about it was coached through it by his G.P. and it was solved completely and immediately when he got up from the couch. He also had a very stressful job (CEO of a largish company).

As I said earlier, the first time I tried it myself, it helped. It wasn't complete but it helped me. I think I've used it three times in anger. Second time helped instantly and more or less completely. Third time was a bit like the first. Depends what the exact problem is of course, and if loose calcium isn't part of it then just imagine an improvement ... anything is better than the room going round

But I'd better look up the timings so you aren't wasting too much time on this ! - yes 1 minute each side per the article I've now linked to below.

Now I shall take a look at those TMJ aspects - something I hadn't come across previously.

Thanks WG

* Edit: It seems there are indeed three different named manoeuvres , each with their purpose ... HallPike for diagnos, and Epley or Semont for treatment.I think mine was Semont except I have remembered part of it completely wrong above - the bit in steps 4 and 5 where my use of the words very slowly looks completely wrong now according to this paper where I think the 180 should also be completed in one single step: http://www.acnr.co.uk/pdfs/volume5is...5i3revbbpv.pdf

which states: In this position (my position 1) vertigo is triggered and torsional nystagmus beats toward the affected (undermost) ear.
After being kept in this position for approximately a minute (so all debris falls to the bottom), the patient is swung rapidly onto the opposite side of
the couch (and stays there for another minute) (Figure 3 - 2,3). The manoeuvre should be executed quickly in one single movement step.

Maybe that's why I've only been partially successful with it twice out of thrice ... oops ... must stop doing that

Last edited by slip and turn; 16th Jun 2008 at 15:06.