PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missed approach procedure USA ops
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2008, 23:50
av8boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...any subsequent go around will indeed be to climb straight ahead.
Although the beginning of the go will obviously be straight ahead (that's the direction you're going... ), because there is no missed-approach segment on a VA, the local controller will be providing instruction at that point.

However, I'd disagree somewhat on the 50% estimate (ILS turning into a VA after a miss)... If the weather required an ILS in the first place, you're going to get another one. Also, (and I assume that this theory stems from the fact that the airport may be VFR) while smaller airports may be able to accomodate a miss by simply turning it into the downwind and having it stay with the tower, that's not going to happen somewhere like LAX. If you go around at LA, plan on contacting departures and being vectored back out into the arrival flow.

Finally, with regard to the inital question, I echo what has been said. If you're flying the ILS and you go around, whether you've been cleared to land or not, fly the published miss. I can't imagine that Speedbird flies into anyplace in the US where anything less would be expected.

22 years US ATC, if you must ask..

Dave