PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Reality of OAA's Employment Statistics
Old 15th Jun 2008, 19:18
Day_Dreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After over 36 years in this industry, and fortunately several company paid type ratings, I have found the current trend towards SSTR's disturbing, only because of the cost to a recently qualified student.
Research into the training standards have revealed a vast range of training differences, mostly from companies not training for a specific airline.
Care should be taken in selecting a training provider, and should there be no prospect of a job after training then DONT do the rating upon speculation.
OAA has been very successful over 40 years of training and its their reputation for Low Risk and High Quality Pilots that attracts the airlines and the students.
Obtaining a job with Ryanair after training, can by no means be described as the Low End option, their training system can only be described as first class and highly professional.
Many have said they take anyone who can pay, but the statistics show that only 40% of applicants who pass through selection are good enough to be offered courses.
The courses 263 to 269 have just graduated from OAA and 60% of all those pilots are employed, 263 to 265 have a 90% placement rate, mostly with Flybe and Ryanair.
I am told by those who know that the Guys and Girls see these airlines as the Oasis in a sea of oily waters, both are still recruiting and plan to continue.
There are many who are prepared to pay for their ratings, waiting in the wings, and all who have read comments on here that they should feel degraded for joining Ryanair would love to meet MM and put him straight.
OAA stats are a guide to where students have gone, only from APP courses and there are several Modular / Waypoint students not included in these stats who are gainfully employed dare I say it also in Ryanair and other SSTR schemes.