PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can offshore helicopters become as safe as commercial airlines?
Old 15th Jun 2008, 16:14
Troglodita

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shawn asks

How much of this do we have to bring in to improve helicopter safety?
(having lit fuse, I will now retire to a safe distance and monitor following explosion)

Tailspin pointed out

HSAC made several valient attempts in going to the FAA in 2005, visiting with congressional leaders only to be undermind by a handful of smaller oil companies within API that cut our legs off. Shell, ExxonMobil and other majors put their money where their mouths are. Look for the answers with the institutions that control change in this country.
I think the reality is that we need to address all the issues raised by Shawn in comparing our Industry to the fixed wing world. As several ppruners have eloquently pointed out - the highest standards in the world are probably to be found in the North Sea with Operators in Norway, UK etc. and the reason for this is that the Oil Companies and Helicopter Operators along with the CAA's and HCA have already addressed the majority of the issues highlighted by Shawn.

In the rest of the world including the USA there is often vast resistance to any change of legislation or even compliance with existing legislation that in my experience comes mainly from the Oil Companies INCLUDING many of the Majors.

The arrogant tendency to suggest that API standards since they are acceptable in the GOM are good enough for the Arabian Gulf or Bight of Benin is something that I have encountered (and still encounter) many times.

I have on several occasions advised a Jack Up Operator that his helideck is too small (i.a.w. ICAO Annexe 14 or CAP 437) for a 212/412/S76 since it only has a true 'D' value of 14 meters or less only to be shown API paperwork indicating that the deck is cleared for S61N - is it any surprise that accident rates for locations using these standards (I use the term loosely!) are substantially higher? - and they are!

I am aware of several of the Majors (including Shell/XOM/Chevron) who still do not even approach minimum recommendations for firefighting facilities, Deck sizes, Deck & Radio Room and Dispatch Staff qualifications on many facilities owned or operated on their behalf. In many cases very well qualified and knowledgable Aviation Advisors are employed by them but they seem to quickly learn that if they wish to stay employed, they will turn a blind eye and not piss off the Big Boys in Drilling/Production/Construction/Logistics etc. etc.

Until the Majors really really put their monies where their mouths are, we are going to be continuing to try to push st uphill.