PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAA ATC Positions
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2008, 13:57
irishatco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe

Just to put some perspective on IRLATCOs views, Maybe(only maybe)9 contract ATCOs have been accepted - source? but currently, there are only 4 contract controllers being trained in Shannon, 2 on OJT the other 2 still doing theory. I dont know about Dublin, but i would be very surprised if there were 5 training there now.

35 Cadets have just finished their basic theory. The first check outs in the live environment will be late Summer 2009, at the earliest.

The IAA seem to be dragging their heels on the permanent ATCO positions. Maybe it's something to do with the aviation downturn. Maybe they're stalling for time.Maybe they're hedging on not having to recruit 20 odd controllers on permanent contracts, and only expose themselves to 3 year deals only. Maybe i'm being cynical. Maybe i've worked for them long enough to know how they operate.
In any case, the staffing situation is not much better than before. I agree that re-hiring the retirees has helped. But the Cadets are now being split into groups of 6, meaning more instructors needed, so in nett terms there are still Operational Atcos being sent to the Training School to instruct. Tomorrow (June 16) will see at least 5 extra controllers from Operations taken off the roster, starting in the school.
I feel that all that has happened is that we are currently chronically understaffed, as opposed to having been terminally understaffed 3 months ago.
The overtime scheme has been undersubscribed - quelle surprise!
So the requirement for Staff asap is still there. Why is it taking so long?

Maybe I'm missing something, maybe i am cynical, maybe i'm right! hope not!