PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can offshore helicopters become as safe as commercial airlines?
Old 15th Jun 2008, 10:44
Tailspin Tommy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Two pennies worth;
As one who has flown in the GOM in the mid-70s to late 80s, landing on API-approved non-standardized helidecks (sometimes over 160 times a day), and being able to flee to the fixed-wing side of the business, and having worked in 30-some countries, I believe that change will not happen in the GOM or other similarly regulated locations unless legilation is ceated to require all of the points mentioned in this thread; Shell's 7/7=1 program, Nick's excellent points, and the others who mention the need for training specific to the tasks, etc, etc.

For those that feel it is the fault of the oils companies and their obscene profits (I take it that you mean greed) for past accident rates,to you need to stop reading those 1960 copies of Workers Unite and put the blame on the business culture of the industry of the country we live in.

HSAC made several valient attempts in going to the FAA in 2005, visiting with congressional leaders only to be undermind by a handful of smaller oil companies within API that cut our legs off. Shell, ExxonMobil and other majors puttheir money where their mouths are. Look for the answers with the institutions that control change in this country. It's the same people who believe in Robin Hood's approach. Taxing oil companies will raise theprice of gas for those of us who are becoming more burdened everyday with rising prices. Quit complaining and help us with the solution.