PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Those considering Emirates
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2008, 07:13
Kennytheking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
555orange,

Thank you.....at last you make some sense. I have no problem debating the merits of EK but, lets face it, your previous post was just an inflammatory dig at guys that disagree with AC.

You are quite right, AC has his right to express his opinion but he has chosen to do so on a public forum where his post is going to be scrutinised and may(or may not) be contradicted.

In terms of the points you mention........EK is a decent job with a package that is good by world standards(IMHO). Sure, I wish I had got 6 months bonus instead of 3.5 months. Sure I wish I had a 25% pay rise rather than the measly 12% that I got, but they a commercial operation and want to make a profit.

I don't know what Cathay offer, but we have a provident fund.....what more do you want? What is this cash payment pension plan you refer to?

Continuous seniority based bidding system? What for, many(me included) like the existing system?

Better duty time rules? The rules are pretty clear. I may not like working that hard but the rules are fine. Nobody likes a redeye through the night(and I just did 2 of them) but that is the nature of the job. I take the good with the bad.

Sick rules and sick pay? EK is a first rate company when it comes to this. If you call in sick, sure they don't pay you the flight pay(all of 45dhs/hr in my case) but that is life. What is more important, you can call in sick for 48 hours no questions asked. I had to go for an operation 6 weeks after being signed out and they took me off the roster, no questions asked, for as long as I needed. There have been cases of guys off sick for over a year, once again on full pay......oops, sorry, they didn't get flight pay.

If you call in sick for a long trip, once you get better, sure they put you on "available days" and sure you generally end up picking up the crappy flights. Apparently in utopia where AC comes from they console the sick guys with nice flights because crappy flights don't exist. Once again get real guys.....we have some nasty flights and if you are a free being with no roster for a few days, you are likely to land one of them. This is just a reality....not EK scheduling trying to punish you.

In terms of those guys that gave up after a year....sure it does happen. There are realities to living here. Very often, the wife takes strain and if she is not happy, you gonna pick up problems. AC makes a valid point with his post in that it is a big decision and not to be taken lightly but I have to wonder where his mind was when he came for his interview. Its almost like it came as a surprise to him that you cannot change fleets, only have one base or that we fly through the night.

I actually wonder myself why I post here.......

Cerebus,

I believe there are company Kool Aid drinkers maybe paid by the company or at least strongly encourged to get on pprune and refute all "negative" postings.

Please can you point me in the direction of who hands out the cash for positive posting on Prune.....because right now damned if I'm not doing it for free.......its just not fair.

And what is this Kool Aid stuff