PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can offshore helicopters become as safe as commercial airlines?
Old 14th Jun 2008, 18:04
helimutt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nick, I think your standpoint is admirable, but until 'new' aircraft are brought into play in the offshore world, the idea of total IFR, GPS 'auto flight to a hover' capability are just not feasible. The aircraft would require much improved hover capability at the weights we carry offshore and with present aircraft operated around the world, some days this just wouldn't allow the customers required payloads.
Unfortunately, not every operator is prepared to invest in the newer technology due to the one thing that affects them all the most, COST!
We're flying 15 yr old S76's offshore with 12 pob. You know how much fun that can be on a hot day with nil wind. I guess that's where the pilot 'skill' comes into it.
I would think the lead time on a new aircraft these days, say a 76 C++ or an EC155 etc, has to be at least 18 months if you ordered one today, and that's a modern day helicopter now. Is there an easy fix?