PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dennis crashes
Thread: Dennis crashes
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2008, 16:33
malabo

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Lake elevation is around 4500'. Elevation where he was performing is probably a little higher than that. Daytime temps in the 32-33C range.

I thought the same looking at the video clip: never got fast enough on his low pass, pull up from too low an altitude (about 50') to do a loop, never got enough altitude, completed the flip at the top and then didn't have enough altitude, power, or speed to arrest the descent. A little surprised that someone with Kenyon's airshow experience would have got caught like that. Though the obits are full of good airshow pilots that got caught out. They interviewed him at the end of the video after the crash, so he's thankfully OK, though naturally disappointed. I think at sea level and cooler temp when the 300 isn't running like its got a flat cylinder he wouldn't have had a problem. Too bad.

I'd be just a tad concerned about lending out a heliocopter for manouvers that could compromise a C of A renewal. Not a problem anymore in this case, instead the owner who has to convince the insurance company to buy his helicopter.

Last edited by malabo; 14th Jun 2008 at 18:39.