PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greedy helicopter pilots........
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2008, 12:31
Overdrive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most of us are not as clever as we think, we're just very street wise....
Griffo, I know just what you're saying... however I think the quote above should actually be reversed: more brains than wisdom applies to many I think!

The HGV thing. I did a short spell in the 80's. Truckers then were perceived as oily diesel rags, mostly not well treated. Things have improved in many ways, conditions, trucks, pay (for some). I've kept my licence valid. I did a few nights to help out a mate a couple of years back, and for the old times sake novelty, when I had some spare time. I didn't enjoy it anything like I imagined. It's no picnic believe me. Like in flying, it's a small proportion that step straight into the best jobs.

Obviously some drivers are earning the money discussed, and working realistic hours for it, but it's likely the transport version of the plumbing myth (something else from my past!). Everyone's heard of them, 1500 quid a week, can't keep up with the work, won't even talk to you for less than fifty notes etc. I actually know people who earn this some of their weeks... the weeks when they're on call rotas, springing out of bed in the middle of the night on response, then working the normal full day, and weekend work. Plus, just lately, it's starting to look awfully quiet ahead...

There are always some in any industry that are getting the cream. There's usually nothing to stop anyone going after it, if they feel they can do it. Today though, I don't think many will get an easy ride that lasts a whole career's length of time. Those running the show are trying to pressure it all down wherever possible. To those who would resent the truckers' earnings in a personal sense, I'd say look on their protests here and abroad more generally, as an anti to the screwing many people are getting, and may get down the line.