PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Goodwood rip-off!!!
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2008, 11:54
fauteuil volant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surely the point has been missed. Big businesses will always pay "top dollar" prices for quality corporate entertaining opportunities. The same goes for landing charges, so that they can impress their clients and potential clients by flying them into the event as well. They can set the expenses against tax, recover the VAT and get new business as well. So if Goodwood can sell all or most of the tickets and landing slots to businesses, to permit the attendance of those who don't know or care where they are so long as it is exclusive and they are plied with copious quantities of expensive food and wine, that must make good commercial sense. If, in addition, that keeps the hoi poloi (another word for those who are genuinely enthusiastic about vintage motor vehicles and aeroplanes) out, surely that makes it better still. It's what corporate entertaining is all about. Just like a test match I once attended, as the guest of a large accountancy firm. Only one other person and I ventured out onto the balcony to watch the cricket. The rest remained in the corporate hospitality suite eating and drinking. But then, why did they need to do so when the television was on in the suite and it was showing the cricket! Perhaps Goodwood needs to enhance its corporate appeal by the addition of corporate hospitality suites with close circuit televisions showing all that is going on outside, so that the guests of the big businesses don't need to drag themselves away from the food and wine to venture outside! Now do I hear someone suggesting that I might be a tad cynical?