PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low cost carriers and customer service
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2008, 11:04
crewmeal

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Low cost carriers and customer service

I read with horror about incidents at airports with ‘customer service staff’ who have such a bad attitude towards fare paying customers. How on earth do people get jobs in the industry behaving the way they do? and more to the point they seem to get away with it, even after complaints have been made. To see a passenger with a 4 week old baby treated in this way fills me with disgust.

EasyJet to Bristol Sat 14 Jun
Mrs Inglebyboro flew on then above route earlier this morning, taking our 4 week old son. After check in she carried on through to the departure gate, taking the baby in the pushchair. At the gate, there was a load of steps to go down (which was not advised at check in - if so, she would have got rid of the pushchair then). She asked one of the staff at the gate if they could help her with the pushchair down the stairs, only to be told that they would NOT help her. My wife then asked how was she supposed to get the pushchair down the flight of stairs, to which the reply was "Its not our problem, but if you need help then you will have to ask another passenger"

She then had to wait at the top of the stairs, until she could find somebody to help, whilst the "customer service asssistants", or whatever they are called this week, looked on, with the occasional laugh, when the first few pax refused to help.

Why is it that low cost carriers seem to be obsessed with taking money at every point of the journey? Paying for check in, checking in hold luggage, charging to board first, charging for overwing exits. The list seems endless.

Does this mean that the standard of service has dropped to such a level that gone of the days of a ‘smile costs nothing’ Have the days of helping people now diminished to unpleasant experiences, where customers have to fend for themselves at airports? Or will the likes of these low cost carriers now charge for a smile and for being polite and helpful?