PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Exchange Pilot upsets the yanks
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2008, 06:28
BEagle

Received 278 Likes on 113 Posts
My code does not include lying, cheating or stealing, Westie? Yours??

Did you mean the AV-8 mate, Dan? Your description is spot-on and he certainly did perplex them with his True Brit attitude! I think he later became a QFI, but am not sure. His brother had been a well-known Lightning driver.

The character in question had also been one of the infamous '7 Hunter refresher' course students back in 1975 when I was doing the Gnat course. A 'Who's who' of future RAF fast jet 'characters', the PMC once tried to throw them off the OM lawn at Valley for being 'improperly dressed'.......

If Jindabyne is reading this, he will no doubt remember the lingering smell of stale beer in the crewroom whenever 7 Hunter came to work! One of their number (who sadly died in a GR3 crash in Germany some years later) recovered on minima on the first wave of the day, then overshot and went round for another circuit. When later questioned, he'd admitted that he wasn't feeling terribly bright after another Nasty Newcastle session, had barfed all over the instrument panel on the break and then had to clear diced carrots and tomatoes off the ASI before he could land..... RIP, Stoney.