PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF pilots leaving
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2008, 02:00
Captain Sand Dune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems that perhaps the instructor shortage (in the schools) has been magically fixed by changing the output goalposts, according to sources in the know.
What will happen down the track a bit is another story.
Dunno about “changing the output goalposts”. I think it’s more the case that the Melchetts in the Ivory Tower at Russell have finally got the message that if one does not properly resource the training system one does not get the desired increase in output, regardless of how many one stuffs in at the front end.
Therefore they have settled for what output they can get.
What happens down track? Well I’ve got a box seat matey, and I reckon it’ll be a cack!
The RAAF's probably too arrogant to admit any concern about resignations. What we witnessed years back (when Airline recruitment dropped off) will happen to the RAAFies of today. Perhaps they crisis manage all the time, messing people around, due to a lack of foresight, actual leadership and commonsense.
Yup! “There is no pilot retention problem”, as one of the head Melchetts was heard to say late last year! Keep our heads firmly in the sand until the problem goes away or a posting/promotion saves us! In the meantime mouth platitudes but don’t attempt to tackle the problem properly for fear of affecting said promotion/posting!
Almost as good as “we’ll train our way out of it”, as heard about 15 years ago in similar circumstances. It’ll be interesting when there’s bugga all trainers around to do the training!