PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prescribed medicines and the UAE
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2008, 00:26
Donkey497

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Unless a closer look at your prescribed medicines reveals that each displays a permitted generic name for each one, it's well worth a trip back to your favourite quack. I'd suggest that, in that case, you explain the situation to him and get him to write a clear "To whom it may concern" explaining why, as a permanent UK resident & visitor to the UAE(I assume), you need to be prescribed drugs which are not locally approved. Keep a copy of the letter with you and make sure that there is at least one other copy with any medication which is not in your immediate hand luggage. Make sure that it lists all medication that you take, sometimes having aspirin or Iburpofen for headaches can cause difficulties as well.

Even if your medication, does on inspection, display "good" names, it would be worth while having a letter like the above to smooth any ruffled feathers in immigration.

I'd also suggest that there are full contact details for your doctor, their practice and their qualifications in your letter as well.

I think that should cover all bases and give you a relatively smooth transit, but from personal experience of travelling with medications, it is always worth while stopping in the red channel at customs to explain what the situation is and drop off a copy of the letter. If nothing else and you hit troble later on, it established a paper trail which shows that you have been 100% above board.

Best of luck with your trip.

Donkey