PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I continue?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2008, 21:38
Orvil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike,

I know what your going through "been there, got the T-shirt etc".

I have read other peoples views on this thread and would like to add a further subject that you may have to consider if you continue.

It's more than likely that you may have to re-locate, even abroad, to get a good job with good money to justify the investment in yourself. You must ask yourself are you prepared to leave your friends/family/girlfriend/wife/partner etc ? To follow your dream?

If you have a good look on this forum, you will realise that the job ain't what it use to be. The pay now is very poor when you consider the lifestyle/responsibility/continuous training involved/medicals/ life expectancy (use to be 63 y.o).

I was listening to a petrol tank driver (on strike) on radio 4 that he was struggling on a basic of £35,000 plus OT which gave him £41000 per year. That's more than a Capt earns on a TP! look at www.ppjn.com .

I was offered a job last week at £55K outside aviation. Its not even a "profession" plus the lifestyle is "normal" and the management have a lot more respect for their employees than most airlines.

If I had to be honest about myself, I would not of undertook the training. I would of gone back to Uni and got myself a "profession". In fact I have given myself 6 months to get a job if unsuccessful I'm returning to University.

I have worked in aviation and have many pilot friends all of them say the best part of the job was actually doing the licence! Flying a SE and flying a A320 are completely different and to be honest very boring!

At the end of the day, your an Adult and have to make a your own decision.

Orvil