PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pros & Cons Of USA Training
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2008, 19:13
IRISHPILOT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DD, please do read up on what is needed: an ICAO PPL (and there is a reason why the CAAs in this world do not specify that you need a PPL from the country where you do your fATPL).

Then there is that argument by many that if you want to fly for a UK airline you should train in the UK. - Well, there are some UK airlines that do fly to the US like BA, Globespan, BMi, etc, etc. Ryanair is Irish, so there are really very few airlines left that stay in the UK that you can apply to.

Once you go to larger airlines, they will ask for your experience flying in other continents, and I am quite happy to be able to tick all boxes. Fancy you have never been across the channel and try to explain that...

International experience does look good on a CV and the largest airlines worldwide do not train in their home countries only. Ab initio and recurrent.

If you want a folder with your training records, I suggest you go to a photocopier and keep a record yourself. And of course you do not have to do all in the US, but a PPL is sufficient, paired with a couple of hours built, especially all required flights for CPL issue, like night and Xcountry. If you made the mistake to get a licence that you loose upon gaining your CPL, then I can understand your frustration, but it is not fair to advise people to do the same mistake.

With this approach, belleh, FAA PPL and hours, then the rest somewhere in Europe, there is NO conversions to be taken care off and no night qualification to be done for the PPL and a couple of thousands to be saved, not to mention the experience.

Good luck with your training! IP