PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I continue?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2008, 12:26
mustflywillfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike, are you able to take a sabbatical from your current job for a while? It might be that you cannot afford it, but if you can get round it one way or another without getting any further in debt, then a sabbatical may allow you to excercise your flying demons whilst keeping paid income in the background.

DO NOT say " it" when you are having another ****ty day and wrap your hand in in favour of flying. Get the PPL current again, best thing you will ever do, and take colleagues / friends flying. They will be only too happy to get some cheap flying in and you can split the cost.

I went throgh exactly the same "crisis" as you at 31, I am now 32 going on 33 and 4 months into a sabbatical. PPL and night done with ATPL exams in a couple of weeks. I know for a fact that I will have to go back to my job and instruct at weekends etc for a year or two before hopefully making the break and getting a TP job. I love flying but I am starting to ask myself whether being an airline jockey is really flying or more systems and safety management?

Good Luck and whatever you do kill the debt first before it kills you!