PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LOT 737 incident, June 2007: crew's poor English blamed
Old 13th Jun 2008, 10:46
criss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anotherthing - I think its the same problem on both sides. Pilots theoretically should be able to fly using standby instruments, but how many of them actually ever do that? Same for ATCOs - at my place "non gyro" is a standard part of simulator training for prospective approach radar controllers, but how many of them actually ever have the opportunity to use it? And moreover, during training you know it will be non-gyro, and the "pilot" reports he has no instruments. This was not the case here, and I don't think many controllers would understand what flying on standby instruments mean.

And an interesting note - maybe the stress was caused by the fact they faced an unusual situation, but which in fact they thought should be easy to handle, just to find out otherwise. Engine fires, bird strikes etc. - all much gravier, but everyone practice them, here a/c was flyable, and they found they can't handle it.