PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 1
Old 13th Jun 2008, 08:15
wobble2plank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe that this 'must hire sim' mentality is going on still!

Read back in the forest of posts on this thread and you will find similar comments from various people of the same ilk as Shaka Zulu and Illusory all through these posts.

The company DOESN'T expect you to come out of flying a 320 or 737 or TP and be able to fly the 747 perfectly! If they did then they wouldn't have to bother with the little niggle of ZFT training on it. What they do want to see is how you interact with your companion and the simulated CC in a scenario where you are put under pressure. Do you go silent? Do you start shouting? Will you forget to inform the other parties such as ATC or the CC? Will you forget to follow the routing? Almost always there will be a hold point or a waypoint you have to achieve en-route, the 'malfunction' will start shortly before that.

'Plane, Path, People!', a good BA moniker! Is the AC safe and flyable in the condition it is in? Are we safe and controlled on the heading we are on? Are we flying away from our possible destination field at a great rate of knots??? Have I told everyone, concisely and calmly what the problem is? The consequences? The time frame available? Finally the conclusion as to what we are about to do?

How you approach the above 'scenario' is what is assessed. To be honest they don't really care if you can or can't land it, it is the crew interaction, leadership if running the show, support and helpful guidance if supporting the leader, that they are looking for.

Personally, I wouldn't waste the cash on a Sim.

Enjoy