PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1989- Pilots dispute 19 years on
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2008, 01:22
airsupport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was the final nail in the coffin of Compass 1 yes, but there were a lot of earlier things done by Hawke for Abeles prior to that.

Some could be considered just legitimate business tactics (with a big stretch), but others were just ridiculous.

He tried to get the fuel companies not to supply us with fuel, luckily they said they would supply anyone that needed it and could pay for it.

He ordered CASA Inspectors several times to check all the aircraft documentation just as we were about to pushback thus delaying the flights, when I queried it with the Inspectors they said they always do it with ALL the Operators, until I said I was with Ansett for over 28 years and it was not done once, they then left embarassed. They tried to ground us altogether one day because our Ground Ops Manual on the line was not up to date, when I checked with Compass Technical it turned out it was THEIR (CASA) copy that was wrong.

Just prior to the end, Air New Zealand were in talks to save Compass, until Hawke told them not to waste their time and money because he was about to introduce "open skies", so Air NZ backed down, but then after Compass 1 and Hawke were gone, Keating would not introduce it.