PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1989- Pilots dispute 19 years on
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2008, 01:00
fugitive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fugitive

Sadly,twodogsflying only knows part of the truth.I was involved in both the Ansett & Compass 1 demises.
What happened of course was beyond belief,so how could the ordinary joe blow believe us.It is only believable because we went thru it.
I wont go back to the Ansett drama as that has been flogged to death,but the Compass 1 drama was worse.What they did was illegal,but of course Hawke was in power and he was the one that ordered Compass to be grounded on the Friday.He knew there was a leadership spill on the Monday and Keating had the numbers.It was his last act on behalf of his mate Ables.
Anyone who doubts this,go back and read the front pages of the The Australian and Courier Mail around that period.
It outlined how they grounded Compass and it was planned twelve months earlier.
It was called Operation SEWN UP,that being for South East West and North.Brian Grey called it operation stiched up.
Dont believe me,go back to the archives and read it for yourself.
Murdoch canned it immediately.
Compass 2 never got off the ground because the liquidators made sure that it went to people who they knew were dodgy.
The Nauru Govt wanted to buy the company as did Garuda but were told no.Ferrier Hodgson got most of the Govt contracts so they wouldn`t have a bar of a ressurected and financially secure Compass 2.
As they say,read the history,it really is enlightening.