PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What should I study?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2008, 23:00
jb2_86_uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to PPrune Tima!

The general rule with FTO selection tests are that theyre done to GCSE levels. At the age of 24 and working in Finance, Im sure your grasp of numbers isnt as bad as you make out! I bought some GCSE revision guides for Maths and Physics and certainly with the Maths, I had waaay over-estimated the level required. Get familiar with speed/distance/time questions. As with most things, it is a case of learning the fundamentals and then applying it. Also a good imagination to "see" the questions is a useful commodity!

The physics was tricky - A lot of stuff I hadnt even thought about since I studied it at GCSE & A-Level level (Hardly a million years ago, but when youre not using it on a regular basis, this kinda info quickly goes out the window). But using the revision guide I was pretty comfortable when it came to sitting the exams.

As for the Psychomotor aptitude tests. Its one of those things that you cant really practice for. You either have it or you dont! Greedy software companies will sell you similar programs to 'practice' with. But personally, I am dubious that one can aquire aptitude. But hey, if you want to try and prove me wrong - I wish you all the best!

At the end of the day, you're 24. Youre still going to be among the youngest in any FTO class you find yourself in. Looking at some of my friends now (21-23) I doubt they will have "woken up" by 24, and indeed, some of my older friends 24+ still havent "woken up" and found what they want to do in life.

Grab life by the balls and seize the moment!

PM me if you want any more info, Ill be happy to help

JB