PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Exchange Pilot upsets the yanks
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2008, 13:53
jayteeto

Location: Liverpool based Geordie, so calm down, calm down kidda!!
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
RAF Exchange Pilot upsets the yanks

Picture: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-say-long.html

He may be fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan, but an RAF fighter pilot is facing a battle of a different kind - keeping his handlebar moustache.

RAF pilots have a proud tradition of showing off their facial hair, but Flight Lieutenant Chris Ball hit turbulence when an American General told him to reduce the length of his handlebar offering.
After he refused, Chris, on an exchange posting with the American Air Force and currently operating in his 1,500mph F-15 fighter-bomber in Afghanistan, was told that American pilots were only allowed to grow small moustaches.
With the other pilots of the 366 Fighter Squadron wondering what their English colleague would do, Mr Ball turned to the Queen for help in saving his facial hair.
No, not her Majesty personally, but Queen's Regulations to find out the permitted size of an RAF moustache.
He measured it and to his delight discovered that the whiskers did not contravene the regulations.
Chris said: 'The yanks are not allowed to grow a full length tash.
'After I was told to trim mine down I had to dig out the Queen's Regulations to prove I was not breaching our own code.'
He took his findings to the General and after an 'exchange of views', emerged with a victory roll of his handlebar moustache.

Pip Pip Old Chap!!